Conviviality as Potentiality
From Amnesia and Pandemic towards a Convivial Epistemology
Conviviality as a social practice is characterized by an intrinsic dynamic. The global capitalist world and its processes of racialization and neocolonialism systematically oppose the possibility of conviviality, placing it in constant danger of dwindling or collapsing.
The aim of our work is to explore and develop artistic practices that have the potential to intervene in these disrupting dynamics. We start from the assumption that arts-based research can function as an affirmative transformative force to deepen and strengthen convivial practices.
The question of conviviality as potentiality will be researched in connection to relevant predicaments in four territories: Australia, Lebanon, Israel, South Africa and Austria. With local and international artists and research partners, this project seeks to co-develop a new definition and practice of conviviality as positive, affirmative action of doing in the form of changing.
Conviviality as Potentiality: From Amnesia and Pandemic towards a Convivial Epistemology is an interdisciplinary, arts and theory based research project, funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF, AR 679) through its Programme for Arts-based Research (PEEK), and is based at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna from 2021 to 2025.
- BIP VISITS PCAP: THE 2023 TOUR. Contemporary Art at the Crossroads of the Social and the PoliticalConviviality as Potentiality participates in the event BIP VISITS PCAP: THE 2023 TOUR. Contemporary Art at the Crossroads of the Social and the Political (from 16.01.2023 to 20.01.2023), hosted by the Studio for Post-Conceptual Art Practices (PCAP/ Conceptual Art) at IBK (Institute for Fine… Continue reading BIP VISITS PCAP: THE 2023 TOUR. Contemporary Art at the Crossroads of the Social and the Political
- Research Day 2022 of the AcademyOn November 16th, 2022, Marina Gržinić, Jovita Pristovšek and Sophie Uitz (FWF TCS 119) presented their ongoing work on “Citizens’ Memories and Imaginaries: Democratic Citizenship” to the Academy of Fine Arts’ research community during the Research Day 2022. We thank Mag. Michaela… Continue reading Research Day 2022 of the Academy
- Convivial workshop #1: Konvivialität als Potentialität.Konvivialität als Potentialität:Workshop mit Esra Özmen and FWF PEEK project “Conviviality as Potentiality” at Wissenslabor 22. The workshop is conceptualised and organised by FWF PEEK-research project team Marina Gržinić, Sophie Uitz and Jovita Pristovšek „Konvivialität als Potentialität” (AR 679), in… Continue reading Convivial workshop #1: Konvivialität als Potentialität.
- Film screening: Corona verstehen. Understanding Corona. (Universität Innsbruck)„Ansteckende Bilder“Filmische Positionen in Zeiten der Pandemie / Take 3 The series Corona verstehen. Understanding Corona. „Ansteckende Bilder“ – Filmische Positionen in Zeiten der Pandemie / Take 3 is organised by Eva Binder, Elisabeth Dietrich-Daum, Tanja Helm (Leokino), Marina Hilber, Wolfgang… Continue reading Film screening: Corona verstehen. Understanding Corona. (Universität Innsbruck)
- ruangrupa curator talk: Post-documenta fifteen, WHERE WE STAND?Presentation and talk at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna with ruangrupa, the curators of documenta fifteen in Kassel, Germany (2022). Moderation: Marina Gržinić Location: Atelierhaus, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, Studio for Post-conceptual Art Practices Date: 11 October 2022… Continue reading ruangrupa curator talk: Post-documenta fifteen, WHERE WE STAND?